CONTRIBUTOR: Chris Davies

All articles/submissions end with the initials CD.

What I love about foreign-language cinema is how different in tone, style and content a lot are to the standard format we have become used to in mainstream cinema. Many are also wonderful glimpses into other cultures and histories; one of my favourite genres is the historical epic, and after seeing The Last Samurai I decided to check out some of Akira Kurosawa’s samurai epics, which I now adore. I love how we can see foreign films influencing mainstream western cinema, and I often find that I can lose myself in a foreign film, as they are frequently less predictable and stereotypical than movies made in America.

Favourite Films: Pan’s Labyrinth, Persepolis, Seven Samurai, The Wave, Throne Of Blood
Favourite Genres: Historical Epic, Thriller, War, Drama, Comedy

I recently graduated from Exeter University having studied Ancient History, and I’m now doing an MA in English and Film. I’m involved with the University’s Campus Cinema, where we show all manner of films every week in our on-campus cinema, and love watching films in my free time. I love music, mainly folk and rock from the 1950s, ‘60s and ‘70s, although I have quite an eclectic taste in other types as well. When I’m not studying or watching films, I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, going to gigs or walking in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment